Sunday, February 5, 2012

Emotional and Thrilling



Published: January 19, 2011

Add it on Goodreads

Buy it on Amazon or B&N

First Thoughts:

An emotional thriller that had me literally reading late up into the night. Once this story had its hooks in me it never let go; it pulled me into its depths and opened my eyes to a world unlike mine and taught me that everything is not always what it seems and danger lurks around every corner and perhaps behind many doors. This is one I’ll never forget, the connection from the reader to the story and the characters themselves helped tell a story that many are afraid to write.

Plot:

It was laid out perfectly, there were plenty of suspense and thriller scenes, there were enough of those slow scenes where they gave the reader time to think over the previous actions and soak in the beautiful writing. The sub-plots were tied perfectly to the main plot and I wasn’t once left confused or disappointed. The pace was just right, I loved that it was really well balanced; I didn’t feel whiplashed or fighting to continue reading. This one is definitely a book that answered most of the questions and left you hungry for more.

Characters:

To say they were strong would only be an understatement. I felt such a strong connect to the main protagonist and also the antagonist. Each and every character had their own spark that instantly connected you to them. I felt that each and every one stayed true to their “character”, the actions and decisions they chose did not in any way stray out to unbelievable. Every person in “real” life is different and how they react to real life situations is based upon them; not the “Norm”. I hate when people group everyone into categories, were not cattle, were real, living, breathing beings, we don’t have to fit the norm of our category, we have the chance to be our own category; to take as long as we need to pass into the next. So when reading this book I felt each character created their own category, whether they were snails or speedsters in moving to the next stage was up to them and their needs; I loved it.

Transformation of the Character:

There was definitely some transformations that took place in this story; some subtle and some not so much. Seth and Maggie’s were both enjoyable and inspiring. I loved that Maggie’s transformation was nothing like what I had imagined; I just love when a character can wrap you around their pinky and surprise you with something you thought you knew. Her transformation (I won’t talk about it too much; it spoil the book) was so different, yet something I am in the end satisfied with, the author was witty and connected with Maggie, that you can tell from page one all the way to the end. As for Seth’s transformation, his wasn’t so obvious but if you pay close enough attention you’ll see it and be so proud that you spotted it, he is definitely a character I fell in love with; I just wish there were more Seth’s out there! As for the rest of the characters some changed, some tried to change and some didn’t but in the end I felt very satisfied in this aspect.

Description:

I wouldn’t say there was a ton of description, actually there was more dialogue than description but for this book it was perfect. The author chose to reveal some of the description through dialogue which left this book both unique and creative. There were some parts of the story where the description overtook the dialogue which allowed the reader to get a great view of the scene and store it in their memory for further references. But overall I thought the description was just right.

Style:

I loved this author’s style, she chose the right moments to switch POV’s. It was always in the best interest to the reader, it was like the author knew exactly when I wished I could be in that person’s mind; it was mind blowing! Also I loved that the author chose to arrange the scenes the way she did, there could have been different ways to get this story across but the way she worded things and chose to end some scenes the way she did, really made me enjoy this book even more.

Quote of the book:

“I had allowed myself to fall in love with someone who didn’t return my feelings, who would never return my feelings. My mother was right. I am unlovable. I am nothing.”

Goodreads Summary:

Port Fare, New York, has fallen into the clutches of true evil. The Dreser brothers have arrived with a scheme to increase drug sales in the area by whatever means possible. Seth Prescott is part of MET (Mobile Enforcement Teams) a branch of the DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration). He's been assigned to work undercover at Port Fare High, and things aren't going very well, until senior Maggie Brown enters the equation. He's harbored a secret crush on her from day one, and now that she is in the center of the case, he's trying to stay clear and objective while walking the line between business and unrequited love.

 Maggie is truly the poster child for Heroin Chic, complete with jutting bones and dark-ringed eyes, but is she an addict, or is there another reason for her appearance? She struggles with her feelings for Seth, fearing he is just another person who will eventually let her down, as everyone in her life has done thus far.

 Maggie has spent her life caring for her alcoholic mother, a task that has left her heavily burdened and alone. Before long, her mother's health takes a turn for the worst, sending Maggie's life into a tale-spin.

 While Seth works relentlessly to inject fear into the dealers and flush them out into the open, Maggie fights to stay alive as the hunt turns deadly.

 Seth and Maggie's romantic journey is one of humor, heartbreak, and self-discovery.

Last Thoughts:

I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys reading realistic and inspiring books. I would also recommend this to anyone who has little knowledge of what goes on behind closed doors; this will literally open your eyes. I wouldn’t however recommend this if you don’t enjoy romance (yes even this story can have it). And I wouldn’t recommend this if you look for more description, though I felt that it was adequate and perfect not all readers will. This is a book that will open your eyes and rip open your heart (I highly recommend that you grab some tissue to sit beside you). I simply loved this author’s story and writing and I cannot even begin to express how much I can’t wait to read the next book in the series “Unbelievable”.

My Rating:

3 comments:

  1. I didn't know you posted this already!! Thank you for such a wonderful review. I'm really happy you liked it. I appreciate you taking the time to post your review to your blog also. I added it to my blog today, along with a link to your blog! (WordpaintingsUnlimted.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I wonder how many times I can say the word "blog" in one form or another in a comment;| LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. No thank you! Can't wait till March when "Unbelievable" comes out!! You know I'll be reading it :) And hmmm....possibly a hundred?!

    ReplyDelete