Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Glitch Review


Date to be published: August 7, 2012

Add it on Goodreads

Pre-order it on Amazon or B&N

Number of Pages: 320

Publisher: St. Martin's Press


First Thoughts:

This book was a lot of fun to read; it had so many shocking moments and moments where you kind of sit there and go ‘really?’ There were those uh-oh moments where you wonder what’s wrong with the character, did he/she really just do/think that? I love the cover to this book, the color combination along with the font of the wording was just so nice and pretty to look at (and no I didn’t read this book based on its cover) It was overall a fun read where I was taken to another world where for a moment I could forgot all reality and just be immersed in the story itself.

Plot:

Okay so the beginning of the book started off a little slow, it just introduces you to the world and what’s going on but soon the pace picks up with speed, problems arise, irony becomes a key player and all you thought in the beginning was turned up-side down and thrown out the window (one of my favorite things about this book). So much happened in this book, 320 pages was nothing on this world; there’s so much more to be told; so much more needs to happen before any real resolutions can take place. I enjoyed the fast quality to this book; I enjoyed all the new conflicts that were introduced throughout the story, some of them being minor and some contributing to the main conflict itself. The concept itself was creative and new to my world (I’m sure there are some similarities in other books but don’t all books have that?) Actually when I really think about it this book has a slight resemblance to “Delirium” by Lauren Oliver but it’s not closely related, they each have their own ideas and I guess when you get into dystopian books you’re bound to find some similarities one time or another.  As for the elements of this plot they’re all there but of course the resolution isn’t finished but being book one of the series that’s okay.

Romance:

Okay so yes there’s a love triangle in this book BUT before you stop reading right there here me out, this love triangle is different, it’s more of a love….a love…a love street? Does that even make sense to you? The love these two guys have for the girl is enormous but the author has chosen to morph it differently than other love triangles, I don’t want to give anything away so just know that this isn’t the ordinary love triangle and by the end of the book I think you’ll see what I mean. But overall I really enjoyed the romance, it wasn’t rough or ugly, it was more a smooth love. And though I’m kind of getting tired of romance in YA this one was fun to read and though it wasn’t the main focus of the story it was there and did take center stage at times.

Characters:

Some of the characters were a little annoying to me, I got to the point where I rather them be out of the story all together than me having to read one more page with them in it….but there weren’t a lot of them and thankfully they weren’t in most of the book, they were more spread throughout. But the main protagonists were fun and easy to connect with. I liked that the main characters had personalities and more realistic while some of the minor characters almost seemed robotic and distant, it really gave the main characters a better view by pulling them away from the picture and highlighting them and it really went along with the theme of the book.

Transformation of the Character:

There were a few small transformations in this book, they weren’t anything to special because I believe that the real transformations won’t take place till further down the road, these characters need more time and conflict to allow them to grow and expand. And the transforming you did see was more of the shedding of the character, like the character didn’t transform but rather just showed you its true character. So overall this wasn’t an aspect that influenced the story much.

Description:

The description was really well written; the way she described the scenery really brought out the senses to me. It wasn’t hard to imagine each scene, the author had a way of describing actions that put you in awe, and she was really able to merge each scene beautifully. I found that the use of colors was a very important element in this book, to me each color represented a different emotion or action, and it was even eerie to me at times. This is definitely not a world I would want to find myself in…Overall the description was really good and I didn’t find it to be tedious or too little, it was just the right amount for this world, without the adequate amount of description this world and conflict would fall flat and book wouldn’t be as enjoyable to read.

Style:

This was written in first person and only had one POV which fit perfectly with this particular story. If this story were to have multiple POV’s we wouldn’t have been able to have the element of surprise, the irony wouldn’t be there and then in essence the story would really lose the flare it has, so I am glad we were only in one POV even if at times I wished I could have been in someone else’s mind. As far as first person it gave us an insight of the main character, it allowed the connection from character to reader to be stronger and more realistic. As far as the writing itself I didn’t find anything really wrong with it and even if there was I really think all the other elements overshadowed anything negative in this aspect, like I mentioned earlier just the concept and the story itself was fun to follow along, I was definitely immersed in this book for hours.

Quote of the Book:

““But is it worth it?” I looked into his green eyes, so close to mine. “What if the Community is right? Wouldn’t it be better to never feel hurt or pain? Aren’t we better off without it?””

Goodreads Summary:

In the Community, there is no more pain or war. Implanted computer chips have wiped humanity clean of destructive emotions, and thoughts are replaced by a feed from the Link network. When Zoe starts to malfunction (or "glitch"), she suddenly begins having her own thoughts, feelings, and identity. Any anomalies must be immediately reported and repaired, but Zoe has a secret so dark it will mean certain deactivation if she is caught: her glitches have given her uncontrollable telekinetic powers. As Zoe struggles to control her abilities and stay hidden, she meets other glitchers including Max, who can disguise his appearance, and Adrien, who has visions of the future. Together, this growing band of glitchers must find a way to free themselves from the controlling hands of the Community before they’re caught and deactivated, or worse. In this action-packed debut, Glitch begins an exciting new young adult trilogy.

Last Thoughts:

I would recommend this to sci-fi and young adult readers. I wouldn’t recommend this to anyone who is strongly against love triangles, if you absolutely hate them and have your mind set then this may not be the book for you. I enjoyed this book a lot, it’s one of those books that didn’t take long to read and didn’t keep me constantly checking how many pages are left. I like this author’s line of thinking and creative style, I can’t wait to continue reading this series, there’s so much more to be resolved and can’t wait to find the answers. This is definitely a book I will keep on my bookshelves for years to come.

My Rating:

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you liked this book. I have it scheduled to read next week. Can't wait now! Superb review. Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got his book and I can't wait to dive into it!

    ReplyDelete