Wednesday, August 29, 2012

"Don't Tell" by Mercy Amare Review



Date to-be Published: September 9, 2012

Add it on Goodreads

Find it on Smashwords

Number of Pages:  N/A

Publisher: Self-Published


First Thoughts:

I was very eager to start this book, lately I’ve been reading a lot of realistic and serious books and so this was definitely at the top of my to-read list. This was a book that was very quick to read that went through a serious issue but at the same time went through a great transformation. This book didn’t dawdle with extra conflicts; it got down to the point and made the reader really see what was happening. I had a good time reading this book and found that it was really hard to put down. Just know that once you start this book you won’t put it down till you’re finished.

Plot:

This dealt with the serious issue of abuse and though I have never personally been through what Lucy has been through but I was able to get into her mind and see how she viewed her own situation. This was a book about a girl who comes from hardship trying to find her-self in along the way finding what it feels like to be loved. Now as far as the structure of the plot it was really simple, you had all the essentials and then of course the conclusion. The ending was very satisfying, especially because the author included an epilogue which allows us to see a little bit into the future and what’s happening to the characters. And really the length of this book is very short, it’s more of a short story or a novella but it’s amazing how much can happen in that short amount of pages, especially what this author pulled off. I really enjoyed that there wasn’t any unnecessary conflicts, that the author really stayed true to the main conflict and allowed the reader to really graze on that and watch as the story and situations unfolded. So overall I really enjoyed the plot, there was plenty happening to keep the reader interested and the pace was very quick; a book that can be read in one sitting.

Romance:

There was definitely romance in this book and it was so sweet and kind, though I think due to the briskness of the story it seemed a little rushed at times…but the author created the relationship in a way that made it more believable and even sweeter.  And yes the romance kind of was part of the major conflict but it really was necessary to the story, to tell the story how it’s meant to be told. So overall I did enjoy the romance in the story.

Characters:

I instantly connected with Lucy, the powerful thoughts and emotions she had to go through was something I grasped onto. I really was able to understand her line of thinking and personality as the story progressed; as we got to hear her story. As for some of the more minor characters I enjoyed them as well, they all seemed to have their own role to play in this story, some more than others. And the characters seemed realistic and necessary. So overall the characters were an essential element in this book that really brought the story to light; without them this story would be pointless…dull. It’s the characters themselves that bring such importance to books and stories. So I’m glad this book had some great and relatable characters in it.

Transformation of the Character:

There was definitely a transformation in this book and I don’t really want to go into too much detail but it was definitely a great experience to watch as something so delicate became something much more. Now not all stories have these kinds of transformations but this one definitely did and I was so inspired on the steps this character took to get where she is now….overall this was definitely a great aspect and addition to the story.

Description:

I really enjoyed the description though it wasn’t too much detail just enough to allow the reader to really see the surroundings and deep inner thoughts and emotions. I really enjoyed the emotional description, it really allowed me to better connect with Lucy and understand her situation. And as for the description of the landscapes and surroundings I liked that the author used a few symbols to help symbolize Lucy’s situation and the mood of that particular scene. And as for the dialogue it was used in just the right moments and I didn’t feel any of the lines to be false or awkward. So overall I really enjoyed the description in this story.

Style:

This was written in two POV’s and in first person, this allowed the reader to get two perspectives and allow them to understand exactly what was going on in each scene. As for the author’s writing it was easy to understand and you could definitely see her personal touch as an author. I really enjoyed reading her writing and liked how she chose to write in two perspectives, it really allowed me to get another’s POV and better understand why things needed to happen the way they did. So overall I thought the style was just right for this story.

Quote of the Book:

“I could be surrounded by a million people, but I would still feel alone….I pretend that I’m normal, but really, what is normal?”

Goodreads Summary:

I could be surrounded by a million people, but I would still feel alone. I smile on the outside, but inside I feel like I’m slowly dying. I cry out for help, but nobody sees me, at least not the real me. They see a façade, a mask that I put on to hide the pain.

I pretend that I’m normal, but really, what is normal? Maybe what I’m feeling is normal. The hurt, the disappointment, the loneliness… it could be all just be a part of life. Maybe I will never know what normal is.

I put on long sleeves and makeup to hide the bruises, but they only mask the outside. What happens when I can’t carry my burden alone any longer? What would happen if I told somebody the truth?

Last Thoughts:

I would recommend this to YA readers and to anyone who is looking for good romantic yet serious story. This really was a quick read so I don’t think you’ll have any trouble finishing it and it can definitely be a book you can read in-between readings. I look forward to reading other books and stories by this author, her writing definitely was fun to read and she had great characters to connect with. My overall satisfaction of this story was pleased.

My Rating:




27 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful review! Thank you so much for taking the time to read and review my book! I appreciate it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I've seen this one around but I checked and it wasn't on my TBR list (it is now). Thanks for the review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The world's #1 marketplace for logo design, web design, and crowdsourced writing projects. Over 28,000 satisfied clients! - crowdSPRING"Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As the parliaments first order of business, on 13 February 2008, Rudd read an apology directed to Indigenous Australians for the stolen generations.The apology, for the policies of successive parliaments and governments, passed unanimously as a motion by both houses of parliament.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really a nice and informative, containing all information and also has a great impact on the new artist. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How to get in front of the most significant (and most powerful) business trend, Mobile Marketing, that is certain to make Traditional Website Marketing look like small potatoes and guaranteed to create massive wealth for those who are early and in-the-know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The First Search Engine Marketing Company in Bangladesh. Providing Global Data Entry Jobs and Training. Also a worldwide ads publisher company in Bangladesh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are many members who are already working in Refresh Online Center. Everyday Many Persons come to Our Office for becoming a member. Some of them are prepared to do our jobs and some of them are not suitable to do the job properly. For all of those persons we have arranged a training programs called Global Data Entry Training. In this programs, we present almost 6 package programs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The First Search Engine Marketing Company in Bangladesh. Providing Global Data Entry Jobs and Training. Also a worldwide ads publisher company in Bangladesh.
    Global Data Entry Jobs

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are many members who are already working in Refresh Online Center. Everyday Many Persons come to Our Office for becoming a member. Some of them are prepared to do our jobs and some of them are not suitable to do the job properly. For all of those persons we have arranged a training programs called Global Data Entry Training. In this programs, we present almost 6 package programs.
    Global Data Entry Training

    ReplyDelete
  11. A search feature is also available to easily find your photos. The tag navigation help you to discover pictures without knowing the content of the gallery. Indeed, the most used tags are highlighted below the search.
    picsengine

    ReplyDelete
  12. We supply and update electronic Pharmaceutical Product and Price Data and Medical Aid Data to the South African Health Care Industry. Our Pharmaceutical data consists of up to date Nappi codes, Single Exit Price (S.E.P), crosslinks to ATC codes,ICD10 codes and MIMS codes. Also Generic and Therapeutic equavalents ID codes.
    Medprax

    ReplyDelete
  13. EZ Rental Car is the Best Value in Car Rental, offering late model rental cars at convenient airport locations from friendly and efficient car hire agents at discount rental car rates. Book your car online today.
    E-Z Rent-A-Car

    ReplyDelete
  14. How to get in front of the most significant (and most powerful) business trend, Mobile Marketing, that is certain to make Traditional Website Marketing look like small potatoes and guaranteed to create massive wealth for those who are early and in-the-know.
    Refresh Online Center

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is really a nice and informative, containing all information and also has a great impact on the new artist. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post.It really contains valuable information.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the great post. I have been visiting your site often and I find it really interesting and informative.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is really a nice and informative, containing all information and also has a great impact on the new artist. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post.It really contains valuable information.very well written post. thanks for sharing. like this very much.This blog will be helpful for me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like your post because your all of words are so entertaining and so useful post .I bookmarked your page and will come again.You can visit my own site there was so many effective information about many important thinks

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am happy when reading your blog with updated information! thanks a lot and hope that you will post more site that are related to this site.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like your post because your all of words are so entertaining and so useful post .


    iPad Video Lesson Offer

    ReplyDelete
  23. I bookmarked your page and will come again.You can visit my own site there was so many effective information about many important thinks

    Instantly Stream Unlimited Full Movies

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great post.It really contains valuable information.very well written post.Really impressed! Everything is extremely open and extremely clear reason of problems. It contains really news. Your web site is extremely valuable. Thanks for sharing.

    Trick Photography

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks, to sharing this nice information, I really appreciate your thinking, & i will visit again for getting more updates.


    Forex Striker - History's 1st Patented Trade Robot

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am happy when reading your blog with updated information! thanks a lot and hope that you will post more site that are related to this site.

    stocktips

    ReplyDelete