Wednesday, January 16, 2013

"Cracked" Review



Date Published:January 3, 2012

Add it on Goodreads

Buy it on Amazon or B&N

Number of Pages: 312

Publisher: Simon Pulse

Note to my readers:

Before you read this review, I just want you to know that I relate to this book so much, I have actually gone through some of the actions of these characters….I’m still trying to heal but I know that it is going to take time but I have the faith I can make it. So please be easy on my review due to the sensitive nature. I wouldn’t be writing this review if I didn’t think it could really open the eyes of its reader….so without further ado….

First Thoughts:

To me this book was so raw and truthful. The realness of the mental hospital was similar to my experience. And the events and reasons leading up to both Victors and Bulls stay is both heart stopping and tragic. I couldn’t bear with half the stuff these two young teens had to go through. This book really opened up my eyes to situations that revolve around a serious issue. This book isn’t something to be tossed aside after reaching the last page, no this is a book to take a lesson from; I know I did.

Plot:

So this revolves around two main characters; the bully and the bullied. The only comic thing about this book is they end up in the same hospital room in the psych ward. This book both devours the subject of suicide and the many attempts people do make. This really helped me cope with what I’m going through, it let me see that there are others out there like me, that I’m not in this alone. The plot is very deep and raw, it really yanks on your emotions and makes you see something serious; something that happens all around you each day. The silence of these two young boys is enough to point out that people are suffering in silence because they have yet to find their inner strength and voice. This is a story so relatable that it brought my emotions high and center, the memories it brought back was almost overwhelming but it was an experience I’ll never experience. This book is pretty fast paced and occurs over roughly a week’s time and two epilogues at the end. But overall I really enjoyed the story.

Romance:

There was romance but it wasn’t really the focus of the book, it was definitely a sub-plot to add a little more action into the story. So overall the romance didn’t bother me but there were a couple of romantic scenes.

Characters:

The characters were very easy and relatable. They were the best part of this book because they showed such powerful actions that it struck me in the heart. These two main characters have earned a place in my heart and I’ll never forget them. They have made me feel not so much alone anymore.

Transformation of the Character:

There were two big transformations in this story and I really loved seeing these two blossom. They still have a ways to go before they’re truly transformed but they definitely made some improvement by the end of the book. So overall I loved seeing the transformations and how much they evolved.

Description:

There wasn’t that much detailed description of the actual physical objects and places. I think the description was more focused towards the emotions of the characters and the thoughts they constantly had going through their minds. The true emotions of these characters brought the subject matter to light and made the reader listen to what these boys were going through. This description was pure manipulation in the sense that it forces you to learn about suicide and about the people around you each and every day of the pain they live in silence. Coming from someone who keeps their emotions bottled up, its hard admitting your weakness…the pain you constantly live through each day…so yes this description brought me there and beyond.

Style:

This was written in first person and two POV’s; Victors (the bullied) and Bull(the bullier) this book definitely needed these two types of views because without them this story wouldn’t be unique, it wouldn’t be so powerful. The two voices of these characters are enough to make me cry, the pain and torment they went through was so similar to mine that it made the book that much better.  The authors writing itself was fluid and colorful. She did a great job getting the two characters voices across. They rang loud and clear.

Quote of the Book:

“After my face is covered in pathetic weakness and the sounds I make deteriorate into whimpers, I know I have nothing left…school started a long time ago. And it hits me again: the fact that no one will give a damn that I’m not there today, No one will even notice.”

Goodreads Summary:

Sometimes there's no easy way out.

Victor hates his life. He has no friends, gets beaten up at school, and his parents are always criticizing him. Tired of feeling miserable, Victor takes a bottle of his mother's sleeping pills—only to wake up in the hospital.

Bull is angry, and takes all of his rage out on Victor. That makes him feel better, at least a little. 

But it doesn't stop Bull's grandfather from getting drunk and hitting him. So Bull tries to defend himself with a loaded gun.

When Victor and Bull end up as roommates in the same psych ward, there's no way to escape each other or their problems. Which means things are going to get worse—much worse—before they get better…

Last Thoughts:

I would caution a younger audience from reading this, both for the content and language used. This is definitely for young adults and to anyone who thinks they’re hopeless and they have no voice. This book really allowed me to go through my thoughts and realize how deep and serious they are. This is a strongly voiced story and I urge you to give it a chance, I know I’m glad I did.

My Rating:


1 comment:

  1. Nice blog. New follower. Would you mind adding your blog to my book blog link exchange?
    It's at-http://www.ifeelsounnecessary.com/p/book-nerd-blog-exchange.html

    Lisa from I Feel So Unnecessary

    ReplyDelete