Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Select Few (Select #2) Review

Select Few (Select, #2)

Date to be Published: October 9, 2018

Add it on Goodreads

Pre-Order it on Amazon or B&N

Number of Pages: 368

Publisher: Charlesbridge Teen

Warning! This is the second and last book in the series! If you haven't read "Select" the first book in the series proceed with caution!

First Thoughts:

I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to jump back into this world so easily. It was like I hadn't even left it at all. Granted it was just last January when I read the first book! So not too long ago but I've read quite a many books since then, so this really was a pleasant surprise. So much happened in this book and I was sad to see it end. I've been reading books that are just part of a duo-logy lately and it's making me sad. I kind of want to read more with the same characters and their world. I feel like this book could offer so much more. Like the author could perhaps sprout a prequel (Please?!). Ugh! So much to say about this book so lets get started!

Goodreads Summary:

After rejecting the cult-like influence of her father's family, Julia moves into a fancy hotel in downtown Austin. But she finds herself alone except for her boyfriend, Jonn--and her fears. Once again she's suppressing her abilities, afraid her family will come for John when they find out he's been developing abilities of his own in her presence. The FBI is also keeping a close eye on Julia hoping she can lead them to her father, Novak, as he's wanted for questioning in his former assistant's death. 

With tensions high, Julia and John agree to go separate ways for the summer, paving the way for Julia to reunite with Angus, fellow outcast. Together they set out on a road trip to California to find Julia's mom and a way into Novak's secret underground world. Along the way Julia will learn the Puri perhaps aren't the only humans evolving into something different...and that maybe she's the leader her people have needed all along.

Plot:

This story picked back up from the first book though it was the beginning of summer where it picked back up. This book took me only a few sittings to finish it. Though it was slow at a few points it always picked back up. A lot of the questions that were asked in the first book were answered in this book. I do recommend that if you haven't read the first book that you read that one first because you definitely won't be as invested in this book as if you'd had. Plus you will be confused on what's happening in this story and not know what's going on and why the characters are reacting the way they are. I liked that this book was creative in a way that created a new type of human; a more advanced one. And there were definitely lots of twists and turns but was predictable at some points. But the book never made me want to put down the book and start another one. I was immersed in another world and was taken along with the characters and the dramatics of the story. Definitely a great book to read if you're looking for something different. Though this story is in a way similar to those with paranormal powers it made it different in a way that isn't like your typical story.

Romance:

Okay this was one area of the book where I had a few problems. First I never really liked the whole love triangle. I mean pick your love already! It doesn't have to be complicated. I mean come on! Stick with the person your heart desires, it's kind of hard to love two people so completely like Julia did. And I was really rooting for John...he's so perfect for her! And the whole picture where Angus comes and tries to steal Julia's heart? Yeah not liking it. Won't tell you who she chooses but be prepared for some ups and downs!

Characters:

Julia is the main character in the story and she is pretty much a strong heroine. Though there is a few points I kind want to punch her for the decisions she makes. I mean come on don't be that stupid! But other than that she really is a strong person for all that's she's been though. I mean losing your family maybe not in death but losing them all the same is still hard. She has to deal with suppressing her powers which is painful physically but also emotionally. Also John and Angus were the co-stars in this book. At one point I really hated Angus and by the end I was satisfied with him. John made me a little upset but other than that he really added to the story.  As for the minor characters like Angus's old gang and others of their kind they kind of just were flat not really adding or subtracting from the story.

Transformation of Character:

Julia changed a little overall but not as much as I would have liked to seen. Other than a few tweaks to her personality she pretty much stayed the same. Actually Liv kind of did some transformation of her own. At the end she really did surprise me. Don't want to spoil the story so I'll just leave her at that.I kind think Julia's stepmother did more transformation than Julia, but it was still a good addition to the story just not what I would've liked to see.

Description:

Loved the description in the book. The author had a great way of describing certain scenes in the book. I was actually quite surprised. I actually thought the description in this book was better than the first. I was really able to see each place the characters visited, especially Julia and Angus's road trip adventure. And towards the ending one place especially was described excellent, really allowed me to picture it and get a good idea on the development of the story. And description on how the characters were feeling was awesome too. I really got a good grasp on the minds of both Julia and John. They both had a complex thinking process when it came time to grasping what was happening to them. 

Style:

This was written in first person and was mainly written in one POV(point of view). I say mainly because in the first half of the book you see some scenes written in John's POV while most of the story is written in Julia's POV. And John 's POV was short compared to Julia's but it still had so much emotion attached to it, so much insight that wasn't revealed until the end. The book format was really well thought out and the way John's POV was placed was perfect that by the end it made the story that much more special and easier to understand. I liked the author's writing itself, kept me intrigued and easy to read. This is definitely in prose format and allowed the book to flow more smoothly. 

Quote of the Book:

""That's who I was." I dangled the necklace over the drawer of my beside table, lowering it gently, then closing it back in the dark. "I have to stop. It's too dangerous to be different.""

Last Thoughts: 

This book took me on a ride of a lifetime that left me gasping for air and left me with little to no sleep. I really enjoyed this book and was sad to see it end. I really do think there's way more stories this world could create so I wouldn't be surprised to see the author do a prequel. But if she doesn't this book still left me satisfied. And can I not mention the cover of this book?! It's amazing one of my favorite covers of the year so far; absolutely gorgeous! So dear readers be on the look out for this book when it comes out this October! And if you haven't read the first one go buy it and be prepared for a trip of a lifetime! You'll have plenty of time to read the first book before diving into "Select Few"!

Rating:

4 Blooms!

No comments:

Post a Comment