Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Goddess Legacy Review


Expected Publish Date: July 31, 2012

Add it on Goodreads

Pre-order it on Amazon or B&N

Number of Pages: 304

Publisher: Harlequin

First Thoughts:

I was so excited to start this book; I just love The Goddess Test series! This book in particular was very much needed and it really opened up my eyes to some of the characters…It was definitely filled with drama and strong emotions, at times I literally wanted to scream at the characters, some of them were definitely acting childish and weren’t thinking but in the end I enjoyed reading about the Gods past and it definitely helps me better understand some of their actions (though it doesn’t excuse them). But this was one heck of a ride and I think fans of the series are going to love it!

Plot:

There were several plots in this book and considering it was like 5 stories that filtered into one was the reason for all the plots and sub-plots. Each plot themselves were executed with precision and I felt that they were fully organized and I didn’t really have any problems with them, though at times I would have loved to stay on one person’s story just a little longer because I became hooked on the character themselves. I liked the stories themselves, it allowed the reader of the series to get a better grasp on the characters and understand why they are who they are. One of my favorite parts of this book had to be when we learned how they got their names and why; super cool! I also liked each story, they flowed down the timeline so well and I felt that the author had a really good grasp on what was going on and when, it was like each time the story/POV changed it flowed from the past to the present and then to the future. As for the sub-plots there weren’t many of them because essentially you had small stories but there were a few and I enjoyed them, they weren’t hard to follow or understand and they did contribute to the overall theme and conflict of the story. Though this book was a little different than the first two in the series I did enjoy it. It gave us the history we needed to better understand all that’s happened and is going to happen. Though this in no way left off from the previous book “Goddess Interrupted” it did lead up to a really awesome moment and it definitely made me happy how she ended this book. And just so you know this book is 2.5 so essentially it shouldn’t leave off where the last one ended it’s just a book in-between to better explain the history. So overall I really enjoyed the plot.

Romance:

Of course there was romance; a lot of it actually but at times it was really childish or comical. There were a few annoying romances but they were essential to the overall plot that led to some actions that took place. Really cool to see all the relationships between the Gods, I learned more about the characters themselves and how they choose to acknowledge others romantically. So, overall the romance was okay but not my favorite part of the book.

Characters:

The characters were really well created and placed within each story. Each one had a different personality and we were able to better understand them and get to know them. In the previous two books the most of the God’s were just barely explained, the reader didn’t get the chance to know who they really were. Even in this book I got to know Henry at an even deeper level and that was a really awesome thing to see. Each main character got to have their own moment and really allowed the reader to see how their inner mind worked and why they acted the way they did. All the stories behind them really helped the characters themselves stand out. There were some stories that were revealed about some of the characters that caused me to look at the character different and as I look back now I kind of liked who the character was before I found out the actions of the character….but perhaps the next book will better transition the character to the reader so that perhaps I’ll be able to forget the past transgressions of that character. So, overall the characters were really well created and placed.

Transformation of the character:

There were some transformations of the characters throughout this entire book, the events and actions of others caused the characters to change to better grasp their reality and understand the inner workings of it. There weren’t any outright shocking transformations and none of them really stood out, I guess knowing their end fate helped cushion the impact of each transformation. So overall the transformations weren’t a key aspect of this book.

Description:

I really enjoyed the way the author described each scene and character. I didn’t have to struggle to picture each scene and I really enjoyed reading about how the characters were feeling and how the landscape around them morphed to them. I didn’t feel like there was too much of it and the pace was pretty fast, depending upon the reader. Some of the descriptions of the story were really detailed but I found that the more detail there was the better I could understand what was happening. And some of the fight scenes were really well described, it takes talent to be able to keep up with each person within the fight but this author made sure the reader knew exactly what was happening and understand the end result. I also really enjoyed the description of each of the god’s power, some of them were really well described and it allowed me to both better understand the character but also better understand the story. So overall I enjoyed the description.

Style:

The author’s style changed somewhat in this story, it was in 5 POV’s and there were 5 different stories within this story itself so of course the author had to accommodate to that adjustment. She was able to morph each story together so that it blended into one big story and it was really cool how she was able to do that. But the authors writing itself didn’t change, it’s still the beautiful and captivating writing we all know and love.

Quote of the book:

“Tracing her features, at once so like Persephone’s and yet so very different, he allowed himself to smile. In her, he saw possibility. In her he saw his future. And when she was ready for it, he would be, too.”

Goodreads Summary:

For millennia we've caught only glimpses of the lives and loves of the gods and goddesses on Olympus. Now Aimé e Carter pulls back the curtain on how they became the powerful, petty, loving and dangerous immortals that Kate Winters knows.

Calliope/Hera represented constancy and yet had a husband who never matched her faithfulness...

Ava/Aphrodite was the goddess of love and yet commitment was a totally different deal...

Persephone was urged to marry one man, yet longed for another...

James/Hermes loved to make trouble for others-but never knew true loss before...

Henry/Hades's solitary existence had grown too wearisome to continue. But meeting Kate Winters gave him a new hope...

Last Thoughts:

I would recommend this to the fans for the Goddess Test series and to those who enjoy reading about mythology and romance. This was a fun read and it opened my eyes to the characters and I was in the end able to learn a lot about why things ended up the way they were. It was fun learning about each character and discovering the answers right alongside them. This author has a way of capturing her reader and allowing the story to flow without the knowing the passing of time. This is definitely an author I’ll be keeping an eye on and I can’t wait to read the final installment in this series “The Goddess Inheritance”.

My Rating:

6 comments:

  1. Nice review! I have yet to try this series but it does sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the series but then again there are those who hate it...I guess it's one of those series you either love or hate it. Hopefully you'll enjoy it as much as I did :)

      Delete
  2. Same here! I really need to start on this series! I love greek mythology so i should enjoy it.

    Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found your link on the Goodreads Blogger Lift group. This series is on my TBR pile.

    [Books and Blossoms]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool review! You are certainly into detail. Nothing gets past you! I don't know how you do it without giving away spoilers. I've only read the first one myself, and soon saw that not everyone over on Goodreads was as appreciative of The Goddess Test as me. I don't know how I'm going to read the e-books without an e-book reader. I have an iMac but I don't know how to read e-books on it. :(
    By the way, what was your rating for it? I saw all the flowers and that's confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks...and I just analyze the story/book through that of a writer...I look at how its written and then the story itself...it has been hard on a few reviews without revealing spoilers. And you can download the kindle app for free and read books free that way :) as for my rating system there's a guide on my right side bar to see what they mean. But overall I gave it 4 stars :)

    ReplyDelete