Tuesday, May 1, 2012

On Demon Wings (Experiment in Terror #5) Review


Date to be published: May 13, 2012

Add it on Goodreads

Number of pages: N/A

Publisher: MetalBlonde Books

First Thoughts:

Whoa! I don’t even know how to form complete thoughts about this book. So much happened and the creep factor was amped like ten notches! It’s funny really but lately I’ve been spooked by the simplest of noises and this book didn’t help them go away.  The intensity and conflict was amazing in this book.  Be prepared to read a book that will blow your mind and leave you a little freaked out (okay maybe more than a little). For fans of the Experiment of Terror series this book will not disappoint, if anything it will surpass your expectations. This book really has outstood some of the series we see in YA series lately. Usually you can never surpass the greatness of the first book but I swear with each book this series keeps getting better and better; creeper and creeper. Book 5 of this series is now one of my favorites of Karina Halle’s.

Plot:

This plot was amazing; there were so many things that happened, so many ideas that had been hinted at in the last book, ‘Lying Season’ were revealed in this book. The intensity of this story was on fire, there weren’t any real dull moments in the book, and each scene had its own intensity and conflict. Deception, rage, pain, revenge, confusion, those are some not all of things that you could take from this story…to see it revealed in so many forms added another layer to this world, it created a thin veil between want and need. This was definitely a psychological thriller, messing with the mind can bring a lot of conflict and intensity to a plot and to the characters themselves. I loved having to constantly question the realism to the scene, there were moments where I wasn’t sure if it was or the workings of an ill mind….it was awesome! As for the ending I won’t give away much but it was definitely something I didn’t see happening….the last quarter was just filled with so much…it really was just as intense as Lying Season but with a more cleaner edge.  Though I am really wanting the next book I think I’ll live….of course this patience I’m feeling right now will only go so far…So overall I loved the plot and the pace (I stayed up till 2:30 in the morning to finish this!) it was a great aspect to this book.

Romance:

I can’t really go into detail in this aspect, I don’t want to ruin it for any future readers but I can tell you that it was definitely well played out. The romance in this book isn’t your typical run of the mill YA, it has edge and it has realism to it, this may shock some of the fans of the series but I think you’ll feel exactly how I did by the end of it….so overall it was really well placed and I wouldn’t have wanted things to be different any other way.

Characters:

They were just as amazing as they always were,  and Karina did a great job on placing them within the story at just the right moment, it not only added to the intensity but it added to the overall feeling we have of them….we were able to get a better understanding of them by the way they were introduced back into the story (And yes we do get to see a few old characters we grew to love!). So overall I loved the personalities of them and I was very pleased on how they reacted to everything conflict and acted within the other characters themselves.

Transformation of the Character:

There were definitely some transformations that occurred in this book, they were amazing and so creepy! Most transformations I’ve noticed in books are beautiful and happened in a way I had expected. The ones that occurred in this book while they were amazing they were super creepy…okay well how they got to the end product was creepy not the end result…I think…but I loved how they are slowly changing, though the transformations did occur they aren’t complete, there’s still room to grow and complete the ultimate transformation but there were some characters that took some large steps to transforming….*shudders* yeah let’s just leave it at that.

Description:

The description was by far one of the best things about this book, without it there would have been no way for me to feel the way I did about all of these scenes…this author has a way of describing scenes to where it really gets to you, that down to the bone kind of chill feeling….there were a few moments that seriously messed me up for a little bit…I mean the images were not only disturbing but psychological which added a whole new element to this book that the first four didn’t necessary have. I found that the amount of description wasn’t overwhelming, actually I loved all of the places and scenes she described, I wouldn’t want her to change it at all. As far as dialogue definitely fit into the feel of the book, the way she had the characters talked allowed us to know exactly who was talking and what was happening. So overall the description was amazing and though it did give me that chilling feeling I loved it!

Style:

The style didn’t seem any different from the first four; it was still in Perry’s POV and in first person. If I could really pinpoint anything out it would have to be that she made the writing itself more psychological, the grammar was placed just in the right way to give off the sharp edges that all psychological thrillers have. I really did like the overall grammar use in this book, I loved her use of periods and commas…it gave an extra edge; made the scene more dramatic. So overall I still love Karina’s writing style and I figure being 5 books in I always will.

Quote of the book:

“I heard a whimper from Ada and I craned my head back to look at her, ignoring the spots at the corner of my vision. “Ada. What’s going on? Why are they saying this?””

Goodreads Summary:

When the life you wanted has crumbled beneath your fingers, there’s nothing left to do but pick up the pieces and soldier on. You’ve done this before.

But what happens when you no longer feel like yourself anymore? When fires spontaneously start-up around you, when you hear growling coming from underneath your bed, and you no longer recognize your face in the mirror. What happens then?
Ghost-hunter Perry Palomino doesn’t have much time to find out. Now, the evil she used to hunt is a lot closer to home. It’s inside of her, taking over her life bit-by-terrifying bit, and there’s only one person who can help her.

If part of her doesn’t kill him first.

Last Thoughts:

This book is more YA mature audience so beware of that if you into reading this book. There is some curse words but they fit so well into the character and situation that I had no problem whatsoever with it. I really enjoyed reading this book, I would totally recommend this to YA readers, this isn’t your typical ghost story, it is so much more; so much better than I could ever hope for. I believe fans of this book won’t be disappointed. I hope you enjoy this book as much I did. I will definitely continue reading anything this author has to offer.
My Rating:


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great review. Everything I have been hearing about this book is great. I really am going to have to read this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Dark House" Book one in the series is free on Amazon!! Just FYI the books get better and better as you go through them...this book was just epic!!

      Delete
  2. Awesome review! I haven't heard of this series before but, I definitely wanna check it out! I love the cover!

    your newest follower,
    Kristin
    youngadultbookhaven.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds awesome! I'm going to have to add it to my to-read shelf.

    ReplyDelete