Tuesday, November 1, 2011


First thoughts:
I know this review is long overdue but I had to seriously re-read parts of this book because at first glance I didn’t really like it, the characters seemed off balance, the concept itself a little disturbing and the fact of all that happened was just disappointing, But after reading it over and reading more actively I was able to pull from it things I had missed before. So many tiny details and beautiful transformations were evident throughout the book. I found this book an interesting concept; to be honest I’ve never really heard of such a complex and creative world as “Bumped”.  The whole book switched back in forth between two characters and it was interesting to see the similarities and differences between them.  And the transformation of the characters themselves was beautiful and unique in itself. The plot was perfect; it was paced just right to where it gave the reader time to digest all that was happening and to grasp the ideas that were introduced into the story. The dialogue was realistic, they fit with the world and the characters themselves, and there wasn’t too much use of improper punctuation.  Also the description at times was almost lyrical; poetic but at some parts it lacked a better painting, it just had some black and white scenery that needed some more color added. Another flaw I found was some of the characters were not someone you could connect well with; it’s like a person you would hope to never meet in real life. I don’t know just little things here and there still annoy me and the idea though its creative and out there just still makes me feel awkward and uncomfortable but I guess books like that sometimes turn out to be the best.

Summary from Goodreads:
When a virus makes everyone over the age of eighteen infertile, would-be parents pay teen girls to conceive and give birth to their children, making teens the most prized members of society. Girls sport fake baby bumps and the school cafeteria stocks folic-acid-infused food.
Sixteen-year-old identical twins Melody and Harmony were separated at birth and have never met until the day Harmony shows up on Melody’s doorstep. Up to now, the twins have followed completely opposite paths. Melody has scored an enviable conception contract with a couple called the Jaydens. While they are searching for the perfect partner for Melody to bump with, she is fighting her attraction to her best friend, Zen, who is way too short for the job.
Harmony has spent her whole life in Good side, a religious community, preparing to be a wife and mother. She believes her calling is to convince Melody that pregging for profit is a sin. But Harmony has secrets of her own that she is running from.
When Melody is finally matched with the world-famous, genetically flawless Jondoe, both girls’ lives are changed forever. A case of mistaken identity takes them on a journey neither could have ever imagined, one that makes Melody and Harmony realize they have so much more than just DNA in common.

Last thoughts:

Though this is definitely not a favorite of mine it was worth the experience; to know what exactly happened and how the character coped when put in dire situations. I wouldn’t say this is suitable for the younger crowd; it approaches some touchy areas and could give the wrong impression to someone who is just entering this stage in life. I also wouldn’t recommend this to people who aren’t open minded and find it hard to grasp the lesson this book has to offer. But in the end it was an interesting read and I hope the next book in the series blossoms a lot more than this book.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, I grabbed this off the shelf and I'm am unsure if I want to read it. I have such a huge stack of TBR. With your review I'm still not sure. Thanks for the review though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an okay book, not something I would rush to read though. But do give it a chance, you either love it or like it, there's no in-between with this book. Hope that helped :)

    ReplyDelete