Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Beautiful and Artistic



First Thoughts:
At first I didn’t know what to think about this book, the imagery was past amazing, the colors and images this author painted were so beautiful and creative but at the same time the idea was a little bit strange and almost unconvincing.

The plot of the story was a bit off, the way the author switched back from past and future tense was at times a bit disorientating but after a while I was able to adjust to the authors structure and the confusion went away. But I did think the sub-plots were well written, I felt the author did a great job on creating different stories that helped tie the main story together; without them this book wouldn’t have been as well written and put together as it was. As for the characters I felt that they were well created. I felt that Sabrina was well crafted, her frame of mind and actions synced together so well that I really did believe her to be a schizophrenic. She was so full of life and creativity, she was a likeable character and she made a great transformation throughout this book. At times she morphed from one person to the next until at the end she finally settled in to someone she was meant to be from the start. As for Alec, he was just as likeable, he had that way about him that instantly drew you to him; that mysteriousness and “bad rap” definitely clued me into his type of character. He himself also made a transformation, he went from someone who was isolated and anger filled to someone worth loving. As for the other minor characters, they were artfully placed, though I didn’t always feel a connection with them, I did find them to be real to the story and world. As for the description like I mentioned earlier I found it to be beautiful and artistic. I really thought the way the author used the sight of Sabrina to describe schizophrenia was so perfect to those of us who always viewed schizophrenia to be multiple personalities (I mistake I had made but now don’t).  The description also created the story, it revealed answers to the questions in the book and it provided insight in the world of someone who sees the world different than me and you. As for the writing style, the only issue I had was the structure of the scenes; I felt that things could have been better organized. And another issue I found was the end, though I liked the end result I felt that it was rushed. I would have liked the ending to be more drawn out, so that as us the readers could better savor all the changes taking place. But it was a beautiful story filled with such beauty and creativity.
Goodreads Summary:
Alec and Sabrina are crazy in love. Problem is: Sabrina’s really crazy.

Sabrina, an artist, is diagnosed with schizophrenia, and her parents check her into the Wellness Center. There she meets Alec, who is convinced it's the world that's crazy, not the two of them. They are meant to be together; they are special. But when Alec starts to convince Sabrina that her treatment will wipe out everything that makes her creative, she worries that she'll lose hold of her dreams and herself. Should she listen to her doctor? Her decision may have fatal consequences.
Last Thoughts:
I would recommend this book to anyone who loves a book that is filled with great description and beauty and to those who enjoy reading about characters with mental illness; this one was really well written in the aspect of the disease. I would also recommend this to anyone who loves a book where love is a key element but isn’t necessarily the main element. I wouldn’t recommend this book if you don’t like books with sharp transitions and abrupt endings. I also wouldn’t recommend this if you don’t like romance; this book at times did get cheesy. But in the end I enjoyed this authors writing, the description to me was over the top and helped make the story as likeable as it was. I will definitely be looking forward to what else this author has in store for his readers.



My Rating:

2 comments:

  1. oooh goodie
    tnx 4 sharing you're thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great title, great cover and I like the sound of this (possibly because it might have some things in common with what I'm working on at the moment!) I promised myself that nothing else would go on my Goodreads to-read list, but it's only one more book, right? :P

    ReplyDelete