Thursday, January 26, 2012

Out of this World



Date Published:  January 18, 2012

Add it on Goodreads

Buy it at Amazon or B&N

First Thoughts:

This was one world wind of a story; so much more happened in this book and the fact that the point of view switched really turned things around. I immensely enjoyed the connections I felt with the characters, the fact that I could keep reading and lose track of time and also the continuation of such a powerful yet sweet story. This book literally had all kinds of elements; action, the dreadful mean girl (in this case a girl with a back-up crew), love, both inner and outer struggles and so much more. There really aren’t enough words to sum up all that was unveiled in this book.

Plot:

The plot was planned just right, there was plenty of action and slow scenes to help keep the reader reading and enjoying it at the same time. A lot of the previous questions I had from the first book were clearly answered in this one but the author also introduced a new conflict near the end (so not telling; you’re going to have to read it on your own) But one thing I had a slight issue with was just the fact that so much happened in this story and I wished some of the plot points could have been a longer length of time; giving the reader time to absorb all its glory and consequences. Don’t get me wrong; I loved all that happened in this story I just wish some of it could have been drawn out just a little more.

Characters:

They were just as witty and full of life as they were in the first book. Each of them had a distinct personality and they were never dull. Even the more minor characters had their own little spark. Each character made a contribution to the story and I didn’t find any of them misplaced or invalued.

Transformation of the character:

There were some characters that transformed more in this book and two of them being Rayn and Maddie, both of them transformed so beautifully inside; each one had to overcome some pretty big hurtles and I liked how the author executed their transformations. They weren’t forced or rushed; she gradually made them change and allowed the reader to see a side of them that was both touching and painful. As for some of the other characters they too made beautiful transformations and a certain someone (won’t say the name) changed quite a lot in this book and I loved the fact that the author chose his transformation to fit his character and not the ones around him.

Description:

The description was beautiful, I enjoyed how she described Vesturon, and she did a great job creating a world that didn’t exist. What I enjoyed the most was how she described the military aspects, it was like she was really knowledgeable in their systems and it was nice to see that unfold. This author has a great knack on describing fight scenes and intimate ones that include a calm and smooth atmosphere. And the way she described the romance between Rayn and Maddie was perfect, she really did a great job on the more “intimate” scenes and created a sense of power and the love between them.

Style:

I liked how she used third person, I really got to see all aspects of the characters world and wasn’t whiplashed from character to character, I was able to see the story unfold from a distant yet intimate point of view. Though I felt at times some of the transitions were a little rough but in an overall look it really didn’t bother me. This author has her own unique style and I love that she switches it up; creating a new and more fresh outlook for the reading audience.

Goodreads Summary:

"Maddie knew she was dying. Her life started to flash before her. She had visions of running down the soccer field, scoring a goal, eating her mother’s yummy, homemade, sticky cinnamon rolls, standing in her foyer listening to the police tell her father that her mother had been killed in a car accident. Each vision was disturbingly clear—as if it was happening again."

 Rayn Yarrister, the first-born son and Leader of The Guardians, has been imprisoned on Vesturon for breaking their most sacred of covenants. He is suddenly jolted by Maddie's telepathic pleas for help, as her life hangs in the balance. Can he alert The Guardians in time to save his soulmate? Or will he face his trial alone and broken without his one true love?

 In Resurrection (Book 2), The Guardians of Vesturon are facing their biggest challenges as Earth is threatened by an invading species from a distant planet intent on destroying it for its resources. The Guardians, as protectors of the universe, have been assembled to defend not only Earth, but other vulnerable worlds as well. The Yarrister family is threatened by an unknown entity intent on discrediting them. Will they uncover this plot in time to save themselves from ruin? Will The Guardians succeed in stopping the Xanthians, or will Earth be invaded and ravaged by this marauding species?

Last Thoughts:

I would recommend this to anyone who enjoyed the first book of this series, this story had so many conflicts solved and alongside it added even more drama! I would also recommend this to anyone who enjoys the creativity and creation of a new world, this book definitely has its own flavor and is unique and fun to read. I wouldn’t however recommend this if you don’t like to read about aliens, though they aren’t your typical alien the idea itself is still there. I also wouldn’t recommend this if you don’t like reading about romance; this definitely carries that element throughout the entire story. Overall I did enjoy this book and I find myself thinking about it from time to time and crave that connection with the characters that I don’t find often in the books I read. I can’t wait to see what else is in store for all these loveable characters! This is definitely a series I want to continue!

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment