Friday, January 6, 2012

Brightest Kind of Darkness Review




First Thoughts:
The cover of this book is beyond mesmerizing, the colors are vivid and the depth and perception in this cover alone made me want to read this book even more. And so I went into this book both with standards and expectations; I didn’t get all of them but I did get enough to keep me satisfied.
The beginning started off with a bang; quite literally and with all the action and ideas that were thrown at the reader from the very first page, kept my interest piped and the pages turning. The plot itself was complete; it didn’t lack any of the important elements and therefore ended with enough questions answered and many to come. The plot line of this story was up and down but at times it was deadline flat; I wanted to urge the scenes to switch; to do anything to get past the rough patch and they eventually did. As for the characters themselves they were real enough, some were better than others, while the two protagonists were full of life I felt some of the essential “side-kicks” to be lacking. But the antagonist was wonderful the author did such a fantastic job creating something so intangible to something be much touchable. And the main character did make a transformation though it wasn’t a big one and she still has a lot of transforming to do but with the other books to come I didn’t find that to be an issue. As for the description I thought it was spot on, it wasn’t too much or too little; there was a balance into which everything was beautifully explained described. But the idea of “Final Destination” was not something I enjoyed about the book; while the idea is intriguing I just wasn’t a fan of it. I felt that some of the ideas were cliché and overused. But thankfully this particular idea wasn’t overwhelming and was limited in use. Something I did enjoy was the idea of dreaming of your next day, though we’ve all heard about characters having the ability to see the future I haven’t necessarily seen a character only get to see her next day. And the author went even further with adding into a character that had a “power” that connected to hers. This author was definitely clever at times and creative and if that would have been more consistent I think I would have absolutely loved this book!
Goodreads Summary:
Nara Collins is an average sixteen-year-old, with one exception: every night she dreams the events of the following day. Due to an incident in her past, Nara avoids using her special gift to change fate…until she dreams a future she can’t ignore.
After Nara prevents a bombing at Blue Ridge High, her ability to see the future starts to fade, while people at school are suddenly being injured at an unusually high rate.
Grappling with her diminishing powers and the need to prevent another disaster, Nara meets Ethan Harris, a mysterious loner who seems to understand her better than anyone. Ethan and Nara forge an irresistible connection, but as their relationship heats up, so do her questions about his dark past.
Last Thoughts:

I would recommend this to any fan of “Final Destination” though like I mentioned earlier it isn’t the main element of the story it does have its moments. I would also recommend this book to any fans of paranormal romance, this is beautifully written and not always the “run of the mill” storyline. I wouldn’t however recommend this to anyone who has issues with cliché ideas; there were some. And this isn’t a book for anyone who doesn’t like romance; though it wasn’t the main element there was a connection within the characters that instantly cliqued and I know some readers don’t enjoy that “love at first sight” romance. But in all I enjoyed this book and found myself liking the “bad boy” and wanting to know what happens next. One of the best qualities of this book had to be that I wasn’t able to figure out all the mysteries until they were literally right there before me so that kept the plot and book much more interesting. This is definitely a series I will be willing to keep reading.
My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment