Monday, January 2, 2012

Everneath Review

First Thoughts:
This isn’t a book that was easy to start, the synopsis interested me and grabbed my attention but from page one I was lost. It wasn’t until several chapters later did I finally get my bearings. Though some of the ideas were a little strange I did get used to them and eventually enjoyed reading it as much as the next book.
This book had such a complex and interesting plot, though at times I felt the plot lacked something special; like some of the sub-plots I felt were a little tangled, not that they were pointless but that they weren’t explained enough and left more confusion than anything. But as for the characters they were likeable enough, especially Jack, he had to be one of the strongest characters in the book. As for Nikki though she was realistic and full of life I just couldn’t connect with her as much as I would have liked. Though I could relate to some of her circumstances I couldn’t relate to some of the choices she made. I felt the process of her mind was a little backwards and though at times I thought she did act like anyone else would; there were just those actions that really bothered me. And while I don’t believe most people would find it as annoying as me I still had to admit she was one of the weaker characters in the book.  As for Cole I did fall in love with him, I loved just about everything about him, he was quirky, adorable, and the Quote on Quote “Bad Boy”. He was one of the characters that made the book the most enjoyable, without him the book would have lacked a very essential element. As for the other minor characters they were good, each one felt real and added to the plot of the book. As for transformations I felt that Nikki did transform, she transformed from someone with little hope to someone who was determined to get what she wanted but the transformation of her was subtle, it’s not as bold as some I’ve read. As for Cole and Jack, they made little transformation but I figure their time will come in the books to come. As for description the author did a great job on describing each and every scene, I felt that she really connected the reader to their world; she allowed us to see something that in reality isn’t really there. As for the writing style, I really didn’t have a problem with it, there was little grammar errors and the writing was smooth, I felt the author cared about making sure exactly what the time was and to let the reader know if it’s from the past or present. This is a book where old myths are mixed with a new spin, one to definitely check out.
Goodreads Summary:
Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now
She’s returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.
She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her; six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.
Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.

As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's...
Last Thoughts:

I would recommend this book to anyone who loves the story of “Persephone and Hades” and to anyone who is a fan of mythology. I would also recommend this to people who enjoy good romance, though I wouldn’t say this has a triangle type romance it does have one that can both amuse and excite you. I wouldn’t however recommend this book to anyone who doesn’t like books with a rough start; for those of you who judge a book by the first chapter. Also I wouldn’t recommend this to people who don’t enjoy books about mythology, this isn’t overwhelming but the main idea of the story is based off of several and the author put her own spin on it. But in the end though I had a few issues with it I did enjoy reading it and it didn’t take me long to finish. I still want to continue on with this series and hope to see an improvement in some of the areas I found issues in.  But in all I give this book 3.5 Stars.

My Rating:



3 comments:

  1. If I am not capture right at the beginning, I may put the book down and give it another try at another time. The synopsis sounds so promising. And the cover art is absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I have this book on my TBR list. I hope it's worth the time, if not, I'll just skim through it to the end LOL It happens a lot lately... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. You never know, some people take better to these kinds of books, I'm willing to read the next book but it's not something I Want now.

    ReplyDelete