Friday, March 2, 2012

Beautiful and Addicting


Date published: March 1, 2012
Add it on Goodreads
Buy it on Amazon or BN
First Thoughts:
There are books I go into not knowing if I’m going to like it or not but with Jolene Perry’s writing I now know I’ll always love it. The way she’s able to just pull everything together makes the reading that much more enjoyable and fun. This book definitely didn’t let me down, I loved every minute of it, the authors style of writing and the way she was able to mold these adorable (or should I say amazing) characters was perfect.
Plot:
The plot was filled with plenty of complex situations and emotional ups and downs.  It had all of the elements required of a traditional plot line but it also had an even more complex outline, there were sub-plots that seemed almost as important as the main plot and it really added a new level to the book. I felt that the author did a great job on tying up any loose ends, all questions, thoughts, or ideas were resolved by the last page. There were a lot of deep emotional conflicts, I loved that the author chose to insert a type of comic relief at the highest intensity moments; it allowed a serious situation to be a little less intense. The author was like a ninja in this book with her writing; she crept around some serious subjects but managed to make them subtle yet powerful. This story was definitely a great fast moving plot, there were plenty of scene changes and slower moments; overall great plot line.
Characters:
Sigh, what to say about these amazing, in-depth characters? There were so many great qualities about them, each one was painted with a different paint brush; each had his/her own personality.  I really enjoyed the fact that each character this author brought into this world had its own role, not one felt out of place or worthless. In fact I found that really none of the characters fell flat, though at times a particular character drifted away the author had an explanation on his/her behavior. Though I felt a little iffy about Sarah in the end I was happy to have met her. It’s nice to meet a new person once in a while even if you know you would most likely never connect with said character. I did feel a strong connection with Jay, he was just too lovable and well-built and Sky…well she’s has her own quirks and flaws that I love. I wish I could really meet these characters in real life, I feel they could really teach me a thing or two.
Transformation of the Character:
There were definitely some transformations that took place, one of them being Jay and the other being Sky. I kind of want to say Sarah made a transformation also but hers was subtle and can be taken as a hidden trait that was just revealed at the end, I guess it’s up to the reader to guess what it is. But the transformations of Jay and Sky were beautiful and amazing; I loved the fact that the author chose to gradually change them instead of waiting to the end to make them change.
Description:
The description was really well written and though out. Though I wouldn’t say most of the description was stand-alone I would say that the author was clever enough to incorporate it into the dialogue itself without being cheesy or overwhelming. The dialogue actually was really good; there were clues and description within it. But I have to say that the best part about the description is how she chose to describe this new world. Her words are almost lyrical sounding, like she’s chosen to describe her world through the beauty of poetry. But before you start to cringe at the thought of poetry remember it isn’t poetry, it just has that deep and beautiful sound to it. It just flows so nicely together that it reminds me so much of poems. But in an overall since the description was the right amount and was written with such grace.
Style:
This author has a nice and creative style, she chose to write in her own style and break out of the A-typical mold. She got creative with her description, she did a great internal monologue with Jay and she did a great job on both breaking the chapters up and creating subtle symbols. She did a great job on meshing an Indian/Alaskan culture with American society; it was both eye-opening and different. And one last thing I am so glad the author chose to write in Jay’s POV, it allowed us in my opinion to see more of the world and understand each sub-plot and plot better. We were able to connect easier with the characters and understand them.
Quote of the book:
“It feels like we’re on top of the world-our lips together, our bodies together. And it’s just me and Sky…just us…only us…Sky and Jameson. Because Sky and Jameson go together, and we’re awesome.”
Goodreads Summary:
Girl I’ve loved, girl I’m falling for. Now that they’re both in view, the problem is clear.
After losing Sarah, the friend he’s loved, to some other guy, Jameson meets Sky. Her Native American roots, fluid movements, and need for brutal honesty become addictive fast. This is good. Jameson needs distraction – his dad leaves for another woman, his mom’s walking around like a zombie, and Sarah’s new boyfriend can’t keep his hands off of her.
As he spends time with Sky and learns about her village, her totems, and her friends with drums - she's way more than distraction. Jameson's falling for her fast.
But Sky’s need for honesty somehow doesn’t extend to her life story – and Jameson just may need more than his new girl to keep him distracted from the disaster of his senior year.
Last Thoughts:
I would recommend this book to the fans of Jolene Perry, this book will definitely not disappoint, and this was an epic and fun read. I would also recommend this to young adults, though this can be enjoyed by almost any age, this has young complicated love written all over it. I wouldn’t recommend this to anyone who is opposed to love stories (There’s tons of love and heartache). I really enjoyed this book and it has definitely landed a spot in my favorites list, it was just so much fun to read and pick apart. Jolene Perry has become a top author I’ll be on the lookout for future books, her writing style has convinced me to read just about anything she produces! And if you haven’t checked out her first book “Next door Boys” I highly recommend you do it! Move over high top authors and make room for Jolene!
My Rating:

2 comments:

  1. You have a great blog :D

    Im following you on all the apps you have, Could you please follow back :) Thankyou

    http://bookenslaved.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete