Monday, April 23, 2012

The Syndicate Review


Date to be published: July 9, 2012

Add it on Goodreads

Pre-order it on Amazon or B&N

Number of Pages: 301

Publisher: Lands Atlantic

First Thoughts:

Wow, I never wanted this book to end, I fell in love with the characters and didn’t want to let them go, there’s just so much depth and character to them that I wanted to keep reading about them. And to make this an even greater book was the plot! No cookie cutter plot, there was definitely originality and creativity poured into each and every page. I was so engrossed in this new “society” and how it worked; it was really cool to see two sides of the same blade…

Plot:

Okay so I really enjoyed the whole concept and plot line of this book, it was so new and intriguing that it kept me reading and reading to the point I didn’t want to put it down.  I love when there isn’t the same plot lines a lot of young adult books are spitting out these days, it’s hard to really come by a book where it follows its own path and gives the reader a new experience. Yes this has the slight element of forbidden romance but in all honesty I really didn’t see all too much of it or better put, it wasn’t the main conflict of the story. The romance was more of a subtle background element while the whole story based its conflict with the society itself. The beginning of the story was a little slow going, the author had to introduce the reader to the world and set the ground rules but once that was done the story really took off, it started throwing curve balls and adding in new conflict, it really became more of a movie than a book, it didn’t even feel like reading. The pace was average but got really fast near the end….oh the end how it left off…I really want the next book like right now! I can see some speculations that could appear as part of the plot and I really want to know if their right because if they are… just wow. And as for the romance it was so gentle and gradual, I liked that it didn’t seem rushed or forced, it was more of what was meant to be. As for the sub-plots there weren’t really many of them; the story really seemed to focus on the overall large conflict but I have a hunch that there are going to be some in the books to come. There was one part of the story that I found a little…strange? No that’s not the right word…I don’t know it’s just kind of seemed random like the character had stored this plan in his mind for half the story and didn’t share it with the reader…it kind of was fun, usually that would deter me but it actually added to the story, I like it when the characters surprise the reader like that, it definitely added more to the plot. So overall I really enjoyed the overall storyline of this world.

Characters:

Move over Wes and come here Vasi! Oh Vasi, Vasi, Vasi how I have fallen for your physique and inner warmth, I’d take you any day! And Here’s to hoping Riley doesn’t mind a little competition ( I think we know who would win ;D )

I loved these characters; the author did such an amazing job on creating unique personalities for each one and making them fit in just the right way that they added to the texture of the story.  I found it easy to connect with the characters, they just seemed so easy to get to know and though each one has their secrets it’s still good to learn who they are on the outside. So overall I really liked the creation of these characters and I’m glad they were so easy to like or dislike, this was definitely a great aspect of the book.

Transformation of the Character:

Though I wouldn’t use the word transformation these characters did in a way change, not into a new person but like they discovered something that had been a part of them the entire time but hadn’t known that it had been there, does that make sense? But I think with what’s to come there’s actually going to be some full-blown transformations, I could tell just by the way the author had set up some of the conflicts in this first book.

Description:

I liked how the author chose to describe some of the targets I won’t lie some of them were eerie at times, it was almost like staring at a double mirror…definitely mind numbing and fun to read. I like authors who aren’t afraid to describe the less than pretty things in the world. As for the amount of description I thought she had just the right amount, she did a great job describing the scenery and the rules of the world. She was able to set up the world in a way for the reader to easily understand it and at the same time enjoy reading about it. As for the dialogue I found it to be an adequate amount, not too much and not too little and it seemed true to the characters speaking. I really like the way the author described some of the inner thinking, each inner thought seemed true to the character and added with precision. So overall the description was fun and fast to read, it’s definitely something a reader shouldn’t have a problem with in this book.

Style:

The author’s style was unique in the way that it seemed to stay steady throughout and it seemed smooth and jagged it at times, it was like the writing itself became more jagged in the more intense moments and more smooth in the calmer and more progressive scenes, really cool to see. Also I liked that we only got one POV, it helped keep some of the stories secrets and conflict buried for just the right moment, there’s still secrets I don’t know and I can’t wait to figure them out. Also the use of first person allowed us to connect better with the main character, we could see through his eyes what he saw and the his thought process afterward there’s a lot you can learn about a person by just studying them from inside out.

Quote of the book:

“…we have to make the decision in time, we have to mark it, put it in the envelope, stick a stamp on it, and mail it back. We can’t just decide, but then let the deadline pass, because if we do, it’s like we never made the decision to begin with.”

Goodreads Summary:

For centuries, the Petrescu family has been protecting society from a danger that moves among the population undetected. Eighteen-year-old Vasi Petrescu has never had a problem carrying out his duty, but, when ordered to eliminate an eighteen-year-old girl, he is immediately taken out of his comfort zone.

The Syndicate has never targeted a female before, yet somehow this one has ended up on more than one hit list. Vasi would like to find out why, but there may not be time.

Now, he'll have to decide whether or not to keep her alive even if it means going against his own family.

The action, mystery, and conspiracy in The Syndicate will take readers on an immersing journey in which decisions are not only life changing, but irreversible.

Last Thoughts:

I would recommend this book to fans of “The Pace” series and to anyone who loves a unique and good story. This story was a fast read to me, I’m still reeling from how quickly I devoured it, I tried savoring it but I finally gave into temptation, call me weak I don’t care all I want is some personal time with Vasi. I love this author’s writing and can’t wait to continue to read more from this author. I really enjoyed this book a lot, I never wanted it to end but like they say all great things have to come to an end sometime, guess this was no exception.

My Rating:

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this one, even more so after your review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you loved her pace series you'll definitely love this one. I really enjoyed this book, it definitely won't take you long to read.

      Delete
  2. Hey great review!! I am def putting this book on my ever expanding "to read" list! I found your site through the goodreads making connections group and am your newest follower!!
    Hope you will check out my blog as well. Actually my newest post is about an actor everyone in the book world seems to be obsessed with, Alex Pettyfer, and maybe i've just got him on the brain but the kid on this cover kinda looks like him as well! lol
    All the best!
    -Amanda
    http://shmandarinorange.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is pretty cute guy on the cover but I have no idea who he really is, I guess I'll just call him the mystery man, LoL.

      And I checked, I'm already a follower, it's really cool you do your reviews through video :)

      Delete