Monday, November 21, 2011

An Intriguing Storyline




First thoughts:

At first glance you might not think there's much to this book, it looks like a simple read, one you can just quickly read and move on. But it isn't, the depth to this book was really good, the story itself was intriguing and worth the effort. I really loved the fact that it wasn't all action, I liked how the tension and action slowly built up, it gave the reader time to understand the situation and question things that were going on. The characters themself were filled with personality and depth, they each had distinct characteristics. The main character especially, I could see that she had her own thoughts and ideas on the view of her world. To see her grow and slowly understand herself was really fun, not all stories offer you that. Some things I had problems with is the fact that it moved at times TOO slow, and I was at times a bit confused on exactly what was going on. I felt that I was withdrawn from the story and presented new material I didn't understand. but around the mid-point it slowly changed. The story definately picked up, the character started to change and things were explained. The description in the story was really good, I thought she captured the life of New Orleans, I've never been there but by the way she described the different places the characters visited, I felt that I was actually there. Like that perhaps I had taken a short trip and was introduced to a new city. And slowly as the story progressed I was able to connect with the character, I was able to understand her line of thinking and therefore understand some of the well to midly put it stupid moves she made. But the more you look at those stupid moves the more you realize that they weren't really stupid in the in; they were just a decision or move that was made based on her inner-being. This book had a great action packed ending, that left me both impressed and satisfied.

GoodReads Summary:

Maggie is unaware of the terrifying fate that awaits her. It isn’t until she lands in New Orleans for a full year at a private high school and her unknown enemies find her does she realize that her life is in danger.

As a mystifying stranger repeatedly intervenes and blocks the attempts on her life, she begins to learn that there is more to him than his need to protect her and that he may be the key to understanding why her enemies have just now arrived.

Last Thoughts:

So in the end I found this book a great read, definately a book you'd want to pull out on a rainy day. The concept of Angels in this book was in a way unique yet also sticking to the same playbook, it was like a mutated form of ideas. The relationships between the characters is something we'd all want and as for the romance it's both breath taking and nail biting. At certain parts of this book I found myself emotional; on the verge of tears. It was definately a book I'd recommend to readers who love angels and to those who enjoy a good romance and suspense. I wouldn't recommend this to those who don't find joy in reading books that build-up to the action and to those who don't like characters to fall in love so easily. But in essence the two characters had a lot of struggles to go through and it makes the romance a little more intense and likeable. But I can't wait to see the transformation in the next book and to see what becomes of the beloved characters.        

2 comments:

  1. Nice review!
    I have this in my TBR pile as well, it is nice to see a review about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I'll be checking this one out ASAP!

    ReplyDelete