Friday, May 18, 2018

"One Small Thing" by Erin Watt Review

One Small Thing

Date to be Published: June 26, 2018

Author: Erin Watt

Add it on Goodreads

Pre-Order it on Amazon or B&N

Number of Pages: 304

Publisher: Harlequin Teen

I voluntarily read and reviewed "One Small Thing" by Erin Watt. All thoughts and opinions are my own. 

First Thoughts:

Can I say just how beautiful this cover is? I love it! From the now two books I've read from this author, "When It's Real" and now "One Small Thing" I love both covers. And best of all I love both books. They both tackle issues that are deep both physically and mentally; "One Small Thing" more than "When It's Real." This book had me both crying and cursing from one page to the next. I just loved so much about it, so let's continue...

Goodreads Summary:

Beth's life hasn't been the same since her sister died. Her parents try to lock her down, believing they can keep her safe by monitoring her every move. When Beth sneaks out to a party one night and meets the new guy in town, Chase, she's thrilled to make a secret friend. It seems a small thing, just for her.

Only Beth doesn't know how big her secret really is...

Fresh out of juvie and determined to start his life over, Chase has demons to face and much to atone for, including his part in the night Beth's sister died. Beth, who has more reason than anyone to despise him, is willing to give him a second chance. A forbidden romance is the last thing either of them planned for senior year, but the more time they spend together, the deeper their feelings get. 

Now Beth has a choice to make---follow the rules, or risk tearing everything apart...again.

Plot:

This  book had a lot of ups and downs in the emotions department. From the very beginning it started out strong, it only wavered in a few areas. But the pulling of the emotions was a bit exhausting but so worth it for the end result. This book did deal with a some-what difficult topic.This book even dealt with bullying, it was heard and devastating to read. To think people can be that harsh and ragged. Definitely hard to read at times. Also the issue with Beth and her sisters' death...definitely complicated. But it was so empowering to watch Beth develop over the course of the book and even her parents.  I've never had to deal with parents like Beth's because my mother had always trusted me to be safe and take care of myself. But Beth was such a strong character that yes, I could understand why her parents were so protective, but to go through the extremes they did was unbelievable. Death of any family is hard but a sister or sibling must have been devastating. So throughout the book, Beth is dealing with coming to terms with dealing with her problems without her sister and letting her go. Being happy once more, and in the arms of perhaps her sister's killer. But there is definitely a big twist near the end, one that changes your view of a major situation. So be on the lookout!

Romance:

The romance was the major meat of this book. It focused on Beth's and Chase's relationship. It was definitely a forbidden romance from Beth's parents. Considering Chase was held responsible for her sisters' death it was understandable. But Beth had such a tender heart when it came to Chase, that I instantly rooted for their relationship. But at times it was broken and hard to read so be prepared for that....

Characters: 

Beth like I mentioned above was a great character. She had her flaws but was easy to connect with but a bit immature at times.But I still enjoyed following her along her journey. Chase was harder to like from the beginning but after I got to know him and understand him I was able to connect with him. The other characters like Beth's parents added more texture to the book. Her parents were very hard to like but I guess that added to the story. Added more problems and sub-plots. I don't know but the only characters I truly enjoyed getting to know were Beth and Chase.

Transformation of the Character:

Beth did some transforming in the book. She transformed from someone who was vulnerable and a bit weak to someone willing to stand up for herself. I loved seeing her develop throughout the story; it was uplifting. Some other characters developed and transformed throughout the story as well but I don't think I should mention them in case they spoil the story for you.

Description:

I loved the description in this book; especially when it came to describing the characters emotions. It was like being inside Beth's head and experiencing every one of her emotions. Also the other characters were well described also. The scenery was also well described too. I remember the swing in the backyard, it was both a symbol and a link so it was  important to describe it. The world was realistically described and so was the situations. In this type of book you need to be realistic, makes the book more enjoyable and fun to read. 

Style:

This was written in first person and one POV. Being in first person allowed the reader to better connect with Beth. I was really able to experience the emotions in this book well. Even though it was exhausting, the emotion roller-coaster made this book. Also just being in Beth's point of view allowed the reader to better focus on Beth. To really get the feelings behind the book. The author's writing was excellent. I really enjoyed Ms.Watt's writing in the first book I read by her so I had just as high expectations as that book. She did not disappoint. It was captivating and intriguing all at the same time. 

Quote of the Book:

"I'm tired of being patient. I'm tired of doing things other people think I should be doing. There's nothing wrong with the concept of us.

I won't let us be wrong."

Last Thoughts:

I really enjoyed the language and beauty of this book. Ms.Watt has a way with words that brings emotions to the surface and makes the reader want to jump off the cliff right with Beth. Loved the writing so much that I really can't wait to see what else this author has in store for her fans. I recommend this book to romance readers and to anyone who loves a good story with deep thought. So go out there and pre-order, trust me this book is worth your money.

My Rating:

4 Blooms!


No comments:

Post a Comment