Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Warning!! Not for the squimish and light hearted!!

Warning!! Do not read when the sun is down, might cause a spike in heart rate and an urge to grab your childhood blanket and hide under the covers...Read after hours only if you dare but don't say I didn't warn you.

First thoughts:

Okay, so I didn't really know how dark this book was until I started reading it, and I started it at night just like so many others but boy do I regret it. This book was so detailed and so descriptive that I literally felt like I was the main character, which is saying something. The things this girl went through, Goodness, I'd hate to be her, to see what she saw, I'd be scarred for life!! but overall, I really enjoyed the read and definately saw some connections to the book "The Road" which is yet another dark and interesting story.

Summary:

Alex was on her own with just her Aunt, her parents long dead, leaving her to fight a terminal brain cancer but then she decides to take her parents ashes to a lake where they wanted their ashes scattered and there her life changed forever, along with everyone elses. A electromagneticc pulse sweeps across the nation, killing millions, changing thousands and destroying all electronic decvices except the very old ones...Alex runs into a girl named Ellie who had just lost her grandfather, Ellie is a bitter eight year old who has lost her parents and just wants her life to go back to it used to be...Soon the two embark on a hard journey in search of both safety and answers and instead finds a young army veteran named Tom. And soon the three stick together and fight off the ones that "Changed" which is in essence like zombies, and most of the changed are kids and that hit puberty and up to the age around 60...Alex who soon finds out something that has changed in her and answers that are far more dark than the pulse that started the whole thing.

But soon, things happen, people get hurt and taken and Alex finds herself in a place where it seems nice but in reality trapping her from the things she wants the most.

In this first installment of the "Ashes" series you'll find a new world where everything is not what it seems and danger is around every corner, can Alex survive it and come out of it with the ones she loves?

Last thoughts:

I again loved the attention to detail and the darkness, definately violent and gruesome at time, but references to sexuality is light and language is mild. Definately not for an audience that isn't mature and isn't used to gore. But without all of these things the book just wouldn't be as good as it meant to be. Ilsa Bick did a fantastic job and I cannot wait to read the next installment in this series. I give this book 4.5 stars, be warned though that there are images that just won't ever leave you, this book that left we with images that I'm still trying to get out of my head, but deep down know will never leave me...

No comments:

Post a Comment