Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Dark or Light?


First thoughts:
What the hell? Did that just happen? I’m still reeling from the last scene the author left us with; this whole book has had me see everything in a new light; which of course in this case was a really cool and good thing. And though I wanted to literally just push away my kindle and forget about reading for a while I know that I have books to read and reviews to write.
This book literally ended in a high strung cliffhanger, I actually tried pressing the next page button to read on but of course it only taunted me saying book 5 comes out next spring, like that made me any happier…sigh, I guess I can admit that this has by far been the book the fans of “Experiment in Terror” have been waiting for.  All that tension that was building up from the first three books all spiraled out of control in Lying Season. It was yet again different than the first three books though it really still had all the same elements but a more storyline based around the main conflict. Before I go off on all the things I loved about this book I can say how amazing the cover for this book is? It fits the book so perfectly and helped draw me into the story even more. And for all you readers out there who say you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover I think in some ways you should. If a book doesn’t have a good cover it goes easily unnoticed and doesn’t help set the reader in the right element/atmosphere. Now don’t read it and hate it for the cover that’s not what I’m getting at, just know that a good cover always helps a book get read and draw in the reader. And with that said let’s get into the meat of the book. The romance in this book was definitely spicier than the others, I wouldn’t recommend this for immature eyes, and the author does have a way with describing things with simplicity but adding so much more to it. As for the characters themselves, they changed even more and though I wouldn’t say they all changed for the better they did transform more. Dex for instance really changed, by the end of the book I was more stunned than anything, and I couldn’t believe how much he changed near the end. And Perry, well she definitely changed though I’m still trying to determine if it was for the better or not. Also some new characters were introduced, they were definitely full of life and added much to the story and book itself. And I have to admit the author had addressed the issues I had with the first and second book, I felt that some of the characters that were more prominent in that particular book were left behind and the next one after and well in this book I do believe we are going to be privileged to more of them. And there were some things hinted in this book that I do believe will happen in the next book, I can’t wait to read on and find out if some of my theories will come true and let’s just say if they do I will be one happy girl.  As for the pace of this book it was fast, there were some slower moments in this one; it really allowed us as the reader to grasp more of the beauty of the conflict and situations. The description was priceless; it was planned and described perfectly. Without the description this book would have lacked a great element and I don’t think I’d enjoy it as much. The plot was perfect though the ending like I said earlier left me wanting more; a lot more. And the writing style itself was just as great as the others; this is one book you won’t want to miss.
Goodreads Summary:
Ama­teur ghost-hunter Perry Palomino has bat­tled ghosts, fought off skin­walk­ers and skirted the fine line between life and death. But can she sur­vive bunk­ing down in Seat­tle for a week with her partner (and man she secretly loves) Dex and his perfect girl­friend, Jennifer? And can she do so while being tor­mented by a mali­cious spirit from Dex’s increas­ingly shady past? With love and life in the bal­ance, Perry must dis­cover the truth among the lies or risk los­ing every­thing she's ever cared about.
Last Thoughts:
I would recommend this to any fan of the series and to anyone who has yet to discover this series, though you need to read from the beginning starting with “Darkhouse” but it’s worth it if you enjoy a nice complicated romance with paranormal added into the mix. I wouldn’t however recommend this to anyone who is sensitive to foul language, though it isn’t overwhelming it is there but without the language it would take a special element away from the characters. I also wouldn’t recommend this to a young audience more like older teens; it does have a little romance in it and with that comes certain terms. But with all that happened in this book it has to be my favorite, the characters were exposed and some of their past was released, we finally got to see what Perry’s accident was and man does that set up for future stories! But this author definitely created a fun filled world that could last for many books more. And one last thing this book was neither light nor dark, it’s like they both fought over each other, I’m still trying to determine its cover. But it definitely had the creep factor, one that you will not soon forget.
My Rating:


3 comments:

  1. I wouldn't say scary, more just kind of spooky...but the third book in the series freaked me out, "Dead Sky Morning" but I think it all depends on the person, just depends on how easily you get scared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! Nice review! I'd check it out but I'm not a huge fan of romance. =)

    ReplyDelete