Saturday, December 3, 2011

Emotional and Dark; a Rise in the Creep Factor


First Thoughts:
The summary of this book intrigued me, I felt that it had potential for both a creepy and thrilling feeling and I was right. Throughout this entire book there is like a dark haze holding over everything, and with that comes an emotional rollercoaster. At many points in this book I felt my heart ache alongside Lyla’s, it made me feel angered and then happy. It was like I never got a break on just one emotion; they interchanged like clockwork and by the end I was both physically and mentally drained and while some people might find that a negative aspect I absolutely loved it! I loved that a book could even do that, to make me feel. What I enjoyed the most had to be the description itself, I felt the author was able to grasp the scenery of Salem; such a famous and historic city. And while I’ve never been there and didn’t even know much about it except for the Blaire Witch trials I felt by the end of the book I knew more; like perhaps I was taught history without the boring factor. And the description also was just the right amount, like when it came to describing both the scenery and the characters I felt it wasn’t too much. I’ve read some books where the description was just so overwhelming; too much but this wasn’t one of them. The story itself was intriguing and action packed. Though I wouldn’t classify this as a thriller per-se I would say there is quite a bit of action, spread out just evenly enough to allow the slower and less intense parts to blossom. I really loved the idea of the story though it isn’t all completely fresh there were parts that were created from a world of pure imagination. And the conflict between the characters weren’t always by the book either; I felt that the tension between certain characters had a new feel about it and that it created a whole new depth to this book. As for the characters themselves I felt that they were all full of life, there were of course the more minor characters that didn’t feel as real but every book has that, not every character deserves the lime-light. But I really thought the characters that were of the most importance in this book each had a distinct personality and I felt that if put into reality they could really be someone. As for the plot in this book it was right on track, every point was hit and even though the conflict wasn’t fully solved it was enough to end this first book in the series. I felt that the ending was really dark and fully explained, like it foreshadowed or hinted at what was to come but didn’t reveal exactly what was going to be involved in the process of solving their problems. Another thing I really enjoyed about this book was that the fact that the love wasn’t rushed, it had bumps and realism to it; like they knew they were attracted to each other but was unsure of how to proceed further. And while I do enjoy book where characters fall in love quickly (Just recently started to enjoy this due to some author’s execution of it) a lot of books can’t pull it off; they make it feel so fake. So I really enjoy books where the love is more fore-longing and complicated in ways that each and every one of us could relate to. Some issues that I had potentially found were the fact that some of the scenes seemed disorganized, like perhaps things were forgotten and characters proceeded forward without put into consideration of something previously happening; but to be honest I think it was on purpose, perhaps the character themselves were trying to forget. One other thing was that at times I felt the character reacted wrong to certain situations like if you were put into that situation you would feel different but also in the end you must consider that each and every one of us reacts differently to certain situations and this character is a person in itself so I really didn’t have a problem with that either. But I really enjoyed this book all around, the feel and haze it had throughout the entire book had me staying up way past the moon’s rising.
Goodreads Summary:
Lyla Mercer’s life changed the moment her dad was murdered, and again when she heard that she could be next. Forced to move to Salem for safe keeping, Lyla soon discovers her family has a dark history in the small town, and when a glossy black moon appears on the back of her neck she becomes newest part of that legacy. Her family is marked and being hunted, but Lyla may be the weapon they need to survive. Lyla attempts to ignore the danger, pretending to be normal, but whispers and rumors follow her everywhere. She thinks nothing can ever be normal for her again until she meets Caleb, the minister’s son, and the absolute wrong boy to be dating a witch. He’s everything she wants to be, just a normal kid from a normal family. At least that’s what she thinks, but nothing is as it seems in Salem. Caleb has secrets to keep about his family that rival her own. Until recently, her father's murderer has managed to keep his true identity a secret, but when Lyla uncovers the truth about him, nobody is safe, especially her.
Last Thoughts:
I absolutely enjoyed this entire book, I loved the description the best and how all of the ideas were presented thoroughly and I never once got confused. I would recommend this to any person who enjoys a nice dark feeling book and to those who have a passion for the elements and the use of Wiccan. Also I would definitely recommend this for anyone who enjoys a good book to read on a rainy day, this definitely has the right elements to compliment the weather. I was fortunate enough to be able to read over half this book while it was raining; it was perfect. But I wouldn’t recommend this book if you’re seeking a thriller or a hard core romance; this isn’t like that. Though there is romance throughout the entire book and it does play a key element in this book the main ideas and plots don’t revolve around that. In the end I enjoyed every second of this book and cannot simply wait for the second book, “A History Renewed”. This is definitely an author you need to look into and check out; this is exactly the kind of book that gets looked over too often.


No comments:

Post a Comment